“Fun” in Moscow’s Streets – level 3
Wakeboarding across a normally busy street – not the average sight you’d expect to encounter in a city – but as a sign of just how extreme conditions have been in Moscow, a man decided to turn the bad weather into something better. The unidentified daredevil attached himself to a rope being pulled by a car, showing off his athletic prowess and adding a little fun to the otherwise muggy scenario.
Heavy rain in the Russian capital has caused a river to burst its banks, causing flooding and wreaking havoc in the streets. It’s been reported that about 200 people had been evacuated from stalled vehicles after 3.7 inches (9.4 centimetres) of rain descended on the city.
But, clearly this man’s the optimistic type and not one to let himself be wake-bored.
Difficult words: encounter (meet), daredevil (a person who likes doing dangerous things), prowess (skill), muggy (unpleasantly warm and humid), scenario (situation), wreak (cause), havoc (destruction), stall (not moving), descend (move down), wake-bored (this is a joke – it sounds like “wakeboard” and it means that the man was not bored in the rainy situation).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.