Gaza tunnels – level 2
On October 27, Israeli forces started a ground operation and they discovered a network of tunnels in Gaza. There were about 800 shafts and Israeli soldiers already destroyed more than half of them.
Hamas said that their tunnel system was as big as the New York subway. They use it for both protection and operational purposes. Israeli bombs hit these tunnels in civilian areas, often near buildings like schools and mosques. The military used different ways to destroy the tunnels, for example, bombs, mapping robots, and explosive gel.
Many countries worry that civilians die in these attacks, and they ask Israel to plan them carefully.
Difficult words: ground operation (something what takes place on the ground, not in the air or on water), purpose (the reason why something exists), civilian (related to ordinary people, not soldiers).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How have the international community responded to this ground operation in Gaza?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.