George Soros hands control to his son – level 1
George Soros is a Hungarian-America businessman and philanthropist. He is a very rich investor.
Now, he is giving control of his big empire to his son, Alexander. Soros’s empire is worth 25 billion dollars. Soros is a kind person. He gives money to help others. In the past, he does not want his children to take over his foundation. But now, he says his 37-year-old son is ready to take control.
Alexander likes politics more than his father. He wants to keep giving money to liberal US politicians with similar ideas to his own. Alexander now controls the foundation and he leads his father’s political group.
Difficult words: philanthropist (a person who gives a lot of money on good things), empire (a large organization which only one person controls), foundation (an organization which focuses on helping others).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the expectations for Alexander's strategy as he takes control of Soros' foundation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.