German companies and China’s human rights – level 1
German news reports that a company working with BASF in China may be doing bad things to people. BASF is a big chemical company.
A report says that some workers secretly watch families in 2018. BASF says they do not know about this. Other big car companies have similar problems. For example Toyota and Volkswagen. Some people think that these companies should stop working in China. It is the only way how to stop supporting bad things. But leaving China could be hard. China is a big market.
The EU wants to make new rules to stop these problems. But even these rules may not solve all problems.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures should other big companies, like Toyota and Volkswagen, take to address ethical issues in their business operations in China?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.