Germany has problems with money – level 2
The German government is in a financial crisis. The top court annulled 60 billion euros in climate fund spending. This will stop the debt brake for some time.
The government is looking for ways to save money which will probably impact the 2024 budget and cause economic troubles. To stop the debt brake, emergency claims, like COVID-19, are necessary. The government may raise taxes and cut subsidies to get control again. These things affect not only companies but families too.
A big risk is less public investment. Experts say that Germany’s debt may rise, but the crisis is not that big yet.
Difficult words: annul (to announce officially that something no longer exists), emergency claim (to state that a particular kind of situation is an emergency), subsidy (a sum of money which the government gives to someone as a form of help).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures could the German government take to get control of its financial situation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.