Ghana LGBT+ law – level 2
Lawmakers in Ghana are preparing a law that will make the life of LGBT+ people much harder. LGBT+ people are lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual people.
They say that the law supports family values, but people from the LGBT+ community do not agree. They say that the law will mean more problems in families, and it will divide people. The new law says that lawyers who will support LGBT+ people can go to prison for up to 10 years. LGBT+ people can spend three to five years in prison. The same will happen to anyone who will have surgery to change their gender.
Most politicians agree with the new law, and Christian leaders strongly support it.
Difficult words: transsexual (a man who feels to be a woman or a woman who feels to be a man), value (the things which someone believes, and he thinks that they are important in life), gender (when a person is either a man or a woman).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos