Giant slide in a shopping centre – level 2
A shopping centre that is in Shanghai, China’s financial hub, is opening a slide. The slide is 54 metres long and it goes from the fifth floor to the ground floor. The journey from the top to the bottom lasts just 16 seconds.
The centre has not opened the slide yet, but customers are excited about it. Some say that they want to bring their kids. Others wish that the slide was see-through.
When it opens on the 15th of March, only one person can go at a time. Riders must be over three years old and at least 1 metre tall.
Difficult words: hub (a centre), last (to exist), see-through (like glass).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you want to ride on this slide?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.