Giant stingray – level 2
A man caught a giant stingray in a Thai river. It was over 14 feet long (4.3 metres), eight feet wide (2.4 metres), and weighed over 800 pounds (363 kilograms).
An American TV nature conservationist caught it. He and the fish were in the water and surrounded by a fence. He talked about the fish – the best news about it was that it was pregnant.
The fish and the information about it could help scientists understand this kind of fish better. They want to know why this fish still swims in earth’s fresh waters.
Difficult words: stingray (a kind of a flat fish), conservationist (a person who tries to conserve or protect nature), fence (a thing made of metal or wood that is around an area to keep something in or out).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you watch nature programs?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.