Girl can’t love – level 2
A three-year-old girl from the UK has a rare genetic disorder. This disorder means that she cannot speak or accept love. She responds to love with aggression. If her mother asked her for a kiss, she probably would bite her.
However, the girl’s mother says that every day with her daughter is a gift. The two of them learned to show love in their own special way, but the mother would like to get more help from medical experts.
Doctors diagnosed the girl with the syndrome at 14 months. She also has a high pain threshold which means that she will often hurt herself without feeling it.
Around 130 people in the UK have the syndrome and only 1,500 people have it worldwide.
Difficult words: disorder (an illness), syndrome (a group of symptoms or health problems which happen together), pain threshold (the level when you start to feel pain).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What would you do to help this child?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos