Gold mining has an impact on animals – level 1
People in Peru mine gold. This happens illegally. Scientists check animals for bad stuff from gold mining.
Scientists test rats and other small animals. Some animals have mercury in their bodies. Mercury is a very dangerous metal. It comes from mining. It hurts animals and people. The jungle where they work has many plants and animals. But some animals are getting sick. Scientists believe that some animals may have fewer babies in the future.
Scientists want to learn more about this and help animals everywhere.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What risks to humans come from mercury found in the bodies of animals affected by gold mining?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.