Gold under water – level 1
A ship sinks in 1857. It sinks in the Atlantic Ocean. The ship sinks because of a hurricane. There are 21 tons of gold on the ship.
Some people find the ship. They move some gold from the ship. They find five gold bars. These bars are 1,000 ounces (28.3 kilograms) heavy. They are worth 1.3 million dollars.
They also find two coins. The coins are from the 19th century. They are worth $5,000 each.
Difficult words: sink (go down underwater), bar (piece), worth (have price in money).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
Do you have any gold coins at home?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.