Golden Globes Best Director – level 3
Chloe Zhao, the Beijing-born director who now resides in the US, has become the first Asian woman to win a Golden Globe for best director.
The 38-year-old ´Nomadland´ director is only the second woman to win the award in that category with Barbra Streisand being the first in 1984.
Many people praised Zhao online for being a huge inspiration for young Asian girls, and they added that it was a win for women everywhere. The semi-fictional ‘Nomadland’, which also got awarded for best drama, tells a story of a woman named Fern who travels around America as a modern-day nomad.
Many people expressed regret that Zhao would probably never make such a powerful film about China given the country´s censorship environment. Her win was also celebrated on Chinese social media Weibo, where many praised her talent.
Difficult words: semi-fictional (partially based on a true story), nomad (a person who travels from place to place rather that living in one place all the time), censorship (when a government prohibits certain books or films because they are considered dangerous).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.