Gran Canaria mystery – level 2
Archaeologists found the skeletons of six young men in a cave on Gran Canaria island.
The men were face-down with their hands tied and stones on top of them. They probably died violently a long time ago, even before Spain took control of the island in the 15th century. This type of burial wasn’t normal, which means that it could be a symbolic death. The archaeologists can’t tell what time the burials are from because they found no objects with the bones. They will have to use radiocarbon dating to find out.
The bodies could be from after Spain conquered the island or from the time before.
Difficult words: burial (putting a dead body into the ground), radiocarbon dating (a method used to tell the age of something), conquer (to take control of a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What could radiocarbon dating tell the archaeologists about the age of the skeletons found in the cave on Gran Canaria Island?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos