Gravitational waves – level 2
One hundred years ago, Einstein formed his theory of relativity. He also told us that space and time respond to matter within it. It is like putting your finger into a pond and moving your finger – you create water waves.
The same thing happens with space and time. When mass moves through space-time, it creates gravitational waves. We knew about these waves for a hundred years, but only this year, people detected them.
This is a great moment in the history of science. Four hundred years ago, Galileo looked to the sky and opened the age of modern astronomy. Now, we are entering the age of gravitational astronomy.
Difficult words: respond (to react), matter (material, thing), detect (to measure, to notice, to see).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you excited about gravitational waves?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.