Greek olive growers have problems – level 2
Greek olive growers are having problems. This year’s harvest is poor, and as prices are growing, there are more thefts.
Panagiotis Tsafaras, a grower from Filiatra, walks round his groves twice a day to protect them against thieves. Thieves stole over a ton of olives in a single incident. Nothing like that ever happened before in the region, and growers have to take measures to stop the thieves. They install cameras and GPS trackers. Thieves come mainly at night, and they use rods or silent electric chainsaws to steal olives.
Greek police confirm a big increase in olive thefts across the country. Greece is the world’s third-largest olive oil producer. Due to bad weather, this year, growers produced 50% less than the year before.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures are Greek olive growers taking to protect their harvest from thieves and why has there been an increase in olive thefts across the country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.