Green Flight – level 1
Lufthansa is a German airline. It is one of the largest airlines in the world. Lufthansa gives good news last week. The company wants to make the first CO2 neutral flight. A carbon neutral flight means that the flight has no CO2 impact on the natural world.
One way is to use biofuel. Biofuel comes from plants or animal waste. A second way is to plant trees in Africa. It means that the flight is not CO2 neutral. But people plant trees to help the natural world.
Some companies have big problems now. The reason is the coronavirus. Some companies need less oil. It means that some refineries will close. It is possible that some companies will use biofuel instead of normal oil. But the problem with biofuel is that it costs three to six times more than normal oil.
Difficult words: CO2 (a gas that cars and factories produce and it is bad for the natural world), impact (a big change), animal waste (what people get from animals after the animals eat something), refinery (a factory where people make natural oil cleaner).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.