Green Woman in Melbourne – level 1
When we cross the street, we wait for a sign that shows a green man. In one Australian city, this green man does not wear trousers. The city of Melbourne is now in the news because it changes a man to a woman on some traffic lights.
An important lady from Melbourne says that it is not OK when we see only a green man on the sign. She thinks that we also need a green woman.
Some of Melbourne’s men do not think the same. One of them says that for him it is only a light. He does not think of it is a man or a woman.
The mayor of Melbourne is a man. He also is not sure about the change. He thinks that it will not help women feel any better.
The plan is to have these new crossing lights in the city for one year at least.
Difficult words: mayor (a boss of a city), at least (minimum).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.