Healthcare workers and COVID-19 vaccine – level 1
In the US, the government says all healthcare workers must get the COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine is a medicine that makes your body strong against COVID-19.
In New York City, authorities say that all healthcare workers must get at least the first shot by September 27.
Some workers do not want the vaccine. Around 15% of workers do not get the vaccine last week. New York hospitals take away their jobs or suspend these workers. Hospitals must postpone some work. There are not enough workers.
Then, officials say that the situation is not very bad. They say it is worse in other parts of New York State. It is possible that military healthcare workers will help New York City hospitals.
Difficult words: shot (when a doctor puts a vaccine in someone’s body through a needle), suspend (to stop somebody’s work for some time), postpone (to change the date for a later time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos