Heavy floods in Bolivia – level 2
In October, heavy seasonal rain began in Bolivia and flooding started. The flooding has affected 17,000 families and it has killed 25 people.
The centre and north of Bolivia received the most flooding so far. The northern province of Pando is near Brazil. After the Acre River burst onto land, it destroyed the land around 9000 homes and killed several people.
The government is helping by sending food, beds, mosquito nets, cleaning supplies and tents. People live in the tents in schools, but the schools are almost full.
Difficult words: seasonal (happening during a certain time of the year), burst (to come out strongly), mosquito net (a material to keep out small insects such as mosquitoes).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Does it flood where you live?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos