Hedgehog Café in Tokyo – level 2
In Tokyo, animal cafés are not unheard of. There are cat, rabbit, owl, hawk, snake and even hedgehog cafés in the city.
One hedgehog café is called Harry – this is a play on the Japanese word “hari”, meaning “needle”. The equivalent of 9 dollars buys an hour of playtime with 30 hedgehogs in the café. Every hedgehog is of a different kind.
One woman in the café said that it is very rare to see a hedgehog. The only way her children can see a hedgehog is to come to a place like this.
Difficult words: unheard of (not known), hawk (a bird which eats other animals), equivalent (the amount which has the same value).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this café?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos