Help for Medical Workers – level 1
Medical workers in the US have a problem. They do not have enough hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer is a gel. Medical workers wash their hands with it. This gel contains alcohol. The alcohol stops infection, such as from a sickness.
Some companies can help. They make alcohol. Companies can make millions of gallons of alcohol. However, they make alcohol for the food industry. Alcohol for the food industry is different. It is stronger. US regulators worry. They say that this alcohol is not good for skin. It is not possible to make hand sanitizer with this alcohol.
Recently, regulators change the rules. With the new rules, companies can make medical gloves, ventilators, and coronavirus tests. Alcohol companies hope that regulators change the rules for them, too.
Difficult words: contain (when something is inside something else), infection (when you get sick from a thing called a virus or a bacteria), regulator (a person who makes rules), ventilator (a machine that helps ill people breathe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.