HIV Vaccine – level 1
In 2016, an HIV vaccine experiment starts in South Africa. Doctors want to see if they can stop HIV’s development in HIV-negative volunteers. Doctors make it like another vaccine experiment from Thailand. This one shows protection from HIV.
On January 23, a safety organization looks at the experiment. It says that 129 people who have the vaccine are HIV-positive. It says that 123 people who have another medicine also are HIV-positive. The organization says that the vaccine does not work.
However, the people who make the vaccine will keep working. They want to fight HIV in South Africa and around the world.
Difficult words: HIV vaccine experiment (a test to see if a special medicine called a vaccine can make people better; these people have the serious sickness called HIV), development (a change), negative (when something is not there), volunteer (a person who does something for free), positive (when something is there).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.