Holi Festival – level 1
People in India celebrate the Holi festival this week. Holi is a very old festival. People celebrate it at the end of winter and the start of spring. People celebrate love.
Holi lasts one night and one day. It happens on the full moon night in March. The date is different every year.
People celebrate in the streets. They throw colored sand at each other. Then, people bathe and dress in nice clothes. They visit families and friends in the evening. They give each other sweets.
This year is different. Many people stay at home. The coronavirus is in India. The situation is getting worse. More than 60,000 people get sick every day. Almost 162,000 people die from COVID-19 since spring last year.
Difficult words: celebrate (to meet other people and have a good time on a special day), festival (a day or time when something special happens, and people remember it; they meet and have a good time), full moon (the day in the month when people can see the whole moon in the sky).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos