Honduras fire – level 1
Guanaja is a Honduran island. It is 77 kilometers off the coast of Honduras. The island has beautiful beaches. Many tourists visit it every year. They dive and snorkel. They can see dolphins and a big coral reef.
Then, a big fire starts there last week. The fire burns more than 200 buildings. Authorities say that a candle starts the fire. There are no firefighters on the island. People try to stop the fire. It is not possible.
Luckily, nobody dies. Several people are hurt. Many people run away. They are scared.
The president visits the island. He says that people must help each other. They must build houses again.
Difficult words: dive (to jump deep into water), snorkel (to swim underwater and breathe through a short tube), coral reef (an underwater plant which looks like a rock and where many fishes and other sea animals live), injury (a harm to someone’s body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos