Hong Kong needs tourists – level 2
In 2019, almost 56 million people visited Hong Kong. When the pandemic started, Hong Kong imposed very strict rules, and the country closed to visitors for three years.
In 2019, many protests happened, which hurt the city’s reputation. In 2022, as a result, only 605,000 visitors came.
Now, the city is ready to welcome tourists again, and the government has an interesting plan. Hong Kong will give away 500,000 air tickets to reward tourists and companies to return. People can win tickets in a lottery or buy two tickets for the price of one.
The city’s leader started a campaign called ‘Hello Hong Kong’. Many events will happen, so officials hope they will bring visitors to the city. Some events are a city marathon and a rugby match.
Difficult words: impose (to start something or to control), reputation (the feeling people have about something), marathon (a long exciting race).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How did the city’s reputation change after the pandemic started and how did it change after the protests?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos