Horsemeat Helicopter – level 2
People from a Russian town tried to create the world’s biggest helicopter model made of horsemeat. It was over 3.5 metres long, 1.8 metres high and weighed over 120 kilos.
People delivered it to the town’s main square on top of a truck. It even had rotating blades. Sadly, the fascinated crowds were not allowed to nibble the sausages off the helicopter after the record was set. Local authorities said that it was unsafe to feed the crowd with meat in an open public space in summer.
But why build a helicopter out of horsemeat? The city’s main industry is its helicopter-making plant, and horsemeat is the traditional cuisine from that part of Russia.
Difficult words: nibble (to eat small amounts of food by taking very small bites), authorities (people who are the bosses of an area), plant (a factory building).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Is horsemeat eaten in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos