Horses Jump over Fire – level 1
There is a winter festival in one Spanish village. Horses and riders jump over fires in the streets.
It started many years ago. It is a ritual to stop a bad illness. Some people protest against it, but local people keep this tradition.
One of the riders says that the horses are very intelligent animals. If a horse jumps through fire and nothing happens, then it jumps easily many more times.
More tourists from across Spain come to see the riders in action. One student from Madrid says that it is so beautiful to see how the horses jump over the fires again and again with a lot of energy.
Critics say that the festival is against the law on animal protection, but for the moment, this tradition continues.
Difficult words: critics (people who criticise something – say that they do not like something), law (rules for all people in one country).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.