Hotel in Mali is attacked – level 2
Islamic extremists attacked a luxury hotel in Mali’s capital of Bamako. The extremists killed and hurt dozens of people.
The gunmen took hostages, but many of them escaped early on. The extremists freed other hostages after they showed that they could recite verses from the Koran. The gunmen do not have any hostages now.
There is no connection between the attacks in Paris a week ago. François Hollande promised to help Mali.
Difficult words: dozens (many), hostage (a person held by an attacker; a “prisoner”), the Koran (the Islamic holy book).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this attack in Bamako?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.