How Video Calling Started – level 1
Video calling is a technology when you call somebody. You see him at the same time. It is a normal thing for us today. People do not know it one hundred years ago.
People first get the idea of video calling in the late 1890s . They do not know how to do it.
The first success is in the 1930s. But the video is very bad. A US company makes a Television-Phone in 1955. People see each other when they call. The screen is 25 centimeters wide.
The Internet changes video calling in the late 1990s. It is fast and the picture is good.
Many people use video calling every day. They work from home or they must stay at home. They are happy that they can see their family and friends on the screen.
Difficult words: technology (how people do something and what they use it for), success (when you do something and the result is very good), screen (a flat part of a TV, PC, or phone which people watch).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
I changed these times so I didn‘t have to define 19th century as the 1800s and 20th century as the 1900s.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.