Husband and wife become saints – level 2
A husband and wife became saints on the same day for the first time in history. They were canonised by the pope at a synod in the Vatican.
The couple lived in France in the 19th century and were the parents of five daughters. All of the daughters later became nuns. The most respected one is Saint Therese of Lisieux.
The synod is focused on how the church can be a better minister to modern families, including gay Catholics.
Difficult words: canonise (to make a dead person a saint), synod (an important meeting of church members), nun (a member of a group of religious women who live only for the god), minister to (help).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these new saints?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos