Ice Age Bear – level 1
Permafrost is hard and frozen soil. It is in the polar parts of our planet. The permafrost is melting. People find interesting things in it.
People in Russia find a dead body of a bear. The bear comes from the Ice Age. The animal is 22,000 to 39,500 years old.
Scientists are very happy. Ice Age bears die out 15,000 years ago. In the past, scientists can study only the bones of the Ice Age bear. However, this bear has teeth, nose, and organs in his body. Organs are body parts inside of the body.
Recently, people find many animals in the permafrost. For example, they find mammoths, rhinos, wolves, and lions.
Difficult words: soil (the ground), polar (something that relates to the North or South Pole), melt (when ice changes into water), Ice Age (the time in the past when our planet is very cold), mammoth (an animal that is like a furry elephant from a long time ago).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos