Ice fishing festival – level 3
The ice fishing festival continues in Northeast China’s Jilin Province.
Nearly 100,000 people are flocking to Chagan Lake to buy fish, an auspicious symbol of a prosperous new year in China.
The two-month-long annual festival usually harvests over 1 million kilograms of fish every year. Customers are welcome to pick up and buy the fish just out from under the ice, with some weighing as heavy as 15 kilograms.
The first fish which is believed to embody the best luck was auctioned with a record high of 370,000 yuan, which is about 60,000 US dollars.
Chaken Lake stretches an area of over 500 square kilometres. It’s the only area in China which still sees traditional Mongolian ice fishing. Different from modern fishing, local fishermen cut into the thick ice and cast their long nets deep into the freezing water, just like their ancestors did over 1000 years ago.
Difficult words: flock (to go in large numbers), auspicious (lucky), annual (once a year), harvest (to give), embody (to symbolise), traditional (according to custom), cast (to throw), ancestor (a member of your family who lived a long time ago).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos