If Surrey were Syria – level 2
A day-long social experiment was about if Surrey, a county in England, was Syria. A charity organised this experiment and filmed actual responses of the people to simulated scenarios.
The charity cut off standard services, so people thought that they had no access to food, education or medical care. The shelves in Surrey shops were almost empty, and you needed to be on a list to get milk, bread and eggs.
The charity is using the film to ask: ”If this is not OK here, is it OK in Syria?”
Difficult words: county (a small area of a country), simulated (not real; acted out), scenario (a situation).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this experiment?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.