Illegal fishing in Capri – level 1
Capri is an Italian island. It has many problems with fishing. Divers catch mussels there. This is illegal. Mussels live on coral reefs and rocks. Divers use hammers. Sometimes they use explosives, too.
It damages the reefs very badly. Coral reefs grow very slowly. They need many years to return to the right size again.
Divers sell the mussels to local restaurants. One kilogram costs up to 240 dollars.
Local officials ask the Italian government for help. They would like to make a marine reserve. A marine reserve is a place where fishermen and tourists cannot go.
Difficult words: mussel (an animal with a hard shell which lives on rocks in the ocean), illegal (against the official rules), coral reef (underwater living animals which look like rocks), explosive (a material which can burst and damage everything around it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.