Illegal gold mining in Brazil – level 1
The Amazon is in Brazil. The Amazon is the largest forest in the world. Millions of special animals and plants are there. It is home to indigenous people.
Indigenous people live in and understand nature. They protect it. They live in the Amazon for hundreds of years.
Gold and other special rocks are under the ground in the Amazon. People take rocks from the ground. It is illegal to mine in the Amazon. Many illegal mines are there. People destroy the forest and rivers to make the mines. They bring sickness to the indigenous people.
The Brazilian president will change the law. It will be possible to mine in the Amazon. About 30% of gold comes from illegal mines now.
Difficult words: protect (to keep safe), illegal (against the law), mine (to take special rocks from the ground, and the place where you take the rocks).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos