Incident in a synagogue – level 1
This event happens in a synagogue. The synagogue is in Brooklyn, New York. A Jewish student is in there. He is 22 years old. A man stabs him.
Police come to the scene. They want to stop the criminal. He is 49 years old and he is African American. He has a knife. He says that he will attack more people. Police tell him to put the knife down. He does not put it down. A policeman shoots him. The man dies.
The student goes to hospital. He will be OK.
Difficult words: synagogue (a place where Jews worship), stab (to attack somebody with a knife), will (to happen in the future).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you agree with the policeman's action?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos