India’s first hand transplant – level 2
Doctors carried out India’s first hand transplant. It was a great achievement for the Asian subcontinent.
It took 20 doctors 16 hours to conduct the double hand transplant. The man who received the operation works in event management. He lost his hands when he fell out of a moving train. He said at a news conference that he is very happy and he can now do all of his regular activities.
Doctors transplanted his new hands from a 24-year-old man who died in a road accident.
Difficult words: achievement (something which you do successfully), conduct (to do), news conference (a situation when information about something is given to journalists).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Did you see the video? The man looks more shocked than happy, doesn't he?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos