Insect Can Find Bombs – level 1
Scientists find a new way to use locusts. A locust is a small insect. Farmers do not like locusts. Locusts destroy plants and crops.
Scientists want to use locusts to find bombs. Locusts are very sensitive. They can sense some chemicals. People use these chemicals to make bombs.
Scientists cut the locust´s head. They put a small device with the locust´s brain. The device sends information to a computer when the locust senses the chemicals.
People usually use dogs to find bombs. Dogs do this job very well. However, the training takes a long time. The training is expensive, too. Locusts do not need training. However, they do not live very long.
Difficult words: destroy (to get rid of something), sense (to see, hear, smell, taste, or touch something), chemicals (little parts of something that scientists study), device (a small electronic machine), training (an event where a person or an animal learns something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.