Insect Ice Cream – level 1
One ice cream shop in Cape Town, South Africa, is making a special ice cream. It makes the ice cream from maggots.
First, people make juice from the maggots. They put in normal ice cream ingredients like sugar and cocoa. They put all of it in an ice cream machine. Then they sell the maggot ice cream.
One person says that this is good for the planet. Normally, people throw away insects. However, they use the insects to make food.
A professor says that not all people like this ice cream. They do not like that it is from maggots. They prefer normal ice cream.
Some people try the new ice cream. They say that it is good. The business wants to grow. It wants to have shops around the world.
Difficult words: maggot (a baby insect), ingredient (a part which makes a food).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos