Iran-US prisoner swap – level 3
A prisoner swap between Iran and the United States is set to occur alongside the transfer of $6 billion in unfrozen Iranian funds to banks in Qatar.
This carefully orchestrated exchange will see detained US dual nationals released from Iran and Iranian prisoners in the US returning home. The process began with Iran releasing four US citizens into house arrest on August 10, followed by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken hinting at their eventual return. The negotiation, mediated by Qatar, bypasses the contentious US-Iran nuclear dispute. Qatar will oversee the funds’ usage to ensure compliance with US sanctions. Once the funds reach Qatar, American prisoners will fly to Qatar from Tehran, and Iranian prisoners will return to Iran from the US.
This unexpected cooperation follows a period of strained relations between the two nations.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What factors played into the decision of the US and Iran to cooperate in this prisoner swap and transfer of funds?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.