Iranian women remove hijabs – level 1
Iranian law says that all women must wear hijabs. A hijab is a scarf. It covers a woman’s hair and neck.
Last week, Iranian police arrest a woman. Police say that some of her hair is visible under the hijab. The woman is 22 years old. She faints at the police station.
Three days later, she dies in the hospital. Police say that the woman has a heart attack. Sadly, some people believe that police beat the woman. She has serious head injuries.
Big protests start in Iran. Women take off their hijab. The behavior is very unusual. Police do not know what to do. Some organizations say that at least 31 people already die in the protests.
Difficult words: visible (what you can see), heart attack (when a person’s heart stops working), injury (when someone is hurt).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos