Islamophobia in England – level 2
A person abused a Muslim woman in a shop in London just because she was wearing a veil.
She says that she often faces Islamophobia, and she filmed this one situation. People viewed the video well over 100,000 times on the Internet. Police are now looking for her abuser.
The woman says that the media shows Islam in a negative one-sided way. The media should be more careful about what they show because they fuel Islamophobia. If people took their information from people like her and not just the media, then they would understand that Muslims are normal people.
Difficult words: abuse (to say or do bad things to somebody and make him or her feel uncomfortable), veil (a piece of material which covers the face), fuel verb (to power, to make happen).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos