Italian army grows marijuana – level 2
Italy legalised marijuana for medicinal purposes last year. Doctors already can prescribe cannabis to relieve pain, nausea and other illnesses, but it does not interest very many people.
This is mainly because of the stigma marijuana has in Catholic Italy. It is also not very cheap. It costs 38 euros. However, this is going to change. Italy is going to use its army to produce the drug at lower costs. Marijuana is going to cost half the money that it costs now.
Difficult words: cannabis (a scientific name for marijuana), nausea (a feeling of sickness), stigma (loss of respect).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you use or smoke marijuana?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos