Italy wins the UEFA European Championship – level 1
Italy wins the European Championship 2020 at Wembley, UK. The final happens on Sunday.
Italy plays with England. England does not win the European Championship since 1966. The fans are very excited. They are sure that England will win. Then Italy’s team is very strong. They win the last 33 matches before the final. The team is surprised. England scores after only two minutes. Italy scores in the 67th minute.
The score is 1-1 at the end of the match. There must be overtime. Then nobody scores in overtime.
It is time for a penalty shootout. Every team kicks five penalties. England scores two penalties. Italy scores three penalties. This means that Italy is the winner.
Difficult words: final (the last game or a championship which decide who the winner will be), overtime (extra time at the end of a game) penalty (when a soccer player can try to get extra goals), shootout (when two soccer teams to try to get extra goals to see who is the winner).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos