Italy’s glacier collapses – level 1
Marmolada is a mountain in the Italian Alps. A glacier is on Marmolada. A glacier is a river or mountain of ice. It moves slowly.
On Sunday, the glacier on Marmolada breaks. Ice and rock fall down the mountain. Nine people die. Several people are hurt.
Many people are missing. Rescuers in helicopters look for them. They must stop. The weather is bad. They do not know how many people are on the mountain.
Officials don’t know the exact reason the glacier breaks. They think one reason maybe is warm temperatures. The weather in the Alps is getting warmer every year.
Glaciers melt. They move fast. They break more often than in the past.
Difficult words: break (to separate a part from a larger thing), reason (why something happens), melt (to change snow or ice into water).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Will you buy the chip?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos