Italy’s glacier collapses – level 2
On Sunday, a glacier collapsed on the Marmolada Mountain in the Italian Alps.
Ice and rock killed at least nine people, and several people went to hospital. Many people were still missing, and officials didn’t know the exact number of people. Helicopters searched for mountaineers, but they had to stop because of bad weather. The Italian Prime Minister said that the cause of the glacier’s collapse wasn’t known, but climate change probably affected it.
In recent years, temperatures in the Alps grew a lot, and since 1850, the glaciers lost half of their ice. Glaciers are becoming less strong, and some parts collapse often.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Will you buy the chip?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.