Japan has a new island – level 2
Japan has a new island, approximately 100 meters wide. An undersea volcanic eruption near Iwoto Island in the Ogasawara island chain created the island.
The eruption started in October and caused explosive events known as phreatomagmatic eruptions. Such eruptions happen when magma interacts with water. An expert confirmed that the tiny island existed because he saw smoke and ash during his overflight.
Similar eruptions occurred in the region in 2021. It is not clear what will happen with the island; it may grow or disappear. It depends on how many more eruptions there will be. It sometimes happens that new islands appear but they erode.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact could this new island have on the local environment?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.