Japanese golf champion – level 1
Hideki Matsuyama comes from Japan. He is 29 years old. He is a golf player. He starts to play golf when he is only four years old.
Matsuyama is very good at golf. He wins many championships. He is an amateur. It means that playing golf is not his job. He plays golf for fun.
An earthquake hits Japan in 2011. Matsuyama can play his first Masters championship. He does not want to play. He decides to play because he wants to make Japanese people happy. Matsuyama becomes a professional golf player in 2013.
Now, Matsuyama makes Japanese people happy again. He becomes a golf champion. He is the first Japanese and Asian man in history who wins the Masters championship.
Difficult words: championship (an event for the best players or teams in a sport), professional (when you do something as a job), champion (the best player or team in a sport).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos