Johny Depp in court – level 1
Johny Depp is an American actor. He is very popular. In the past, his wife is Amber Heard.
Six years ago, Heard writes for the Washington Post. She writes that Depp abuses her. She says that Depp likes drugs and alcohol. Depp sometimes drinks too much. Also, he hits her.
A trial starts last week in Virginia. The trial costs about 50 million dollars. Depp’s lawyers say that Heard wants to hurt his good reputation.
Depp speaks in court last week. He says that he never hits his ex-wife or anyone. He says that some people behave differently to him. He says that Heard only wants money and to be more popular.
Difficult words: abuse (to behave very badly towards someone), trial (a court event to decide if someone something bad), reputation (what people think about someone or something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos