Julian Assange gets married in prison – level 2
Julian Assange is a 50-year-old Australian editor and activist, who started WikiLeaks in 2006.
In 2010, WikiLeaks shared secret information about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the US government started to investigate the website. Assange is currently in prison in London, UK, but the US want UK to return him for trial.
In 2015, Assange met a lawyer Stella Morris, and they have two children together. Last week, the couple got married in a London prison. Only six guests could attend the ceremony, but a large group of people supported Morris, who said that she was happy and sad at the same time.
Difficult words: activist (a person who works to help or stop groups he thinks are right or wrong), investigate (to find out the truth about something), trial (when a judge checks all details about a case before a court decides).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.